Saturday, July 1, 2023

Earth Nails

 

EARTH NAILS

I grew it like you said,

Tended in its bed,

Waited through long nights,

On every swallow cry


Then up came hard green nails,

Pinning the folds of sod,

On which frost clings like tallow,

To smiling ice cream heads


Soon, waves of yellow and light,

Carpet fields under clear skies,

Bees jump and twist in flight,

To taste the lion's teeth


Each floret bites sweeter still,

Each whispered breeze of pure white,

Blankets shrubs and sedge with seed,

Then closes up to black night


One day, hatted children come,

Bearing indigo trumpets,

They run and trample through,

Making carpet dye like sun


Like you said, the nails still grow,

Over me when I lay down,

See me in this sun I left,

Behind me is life and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment