Sunday, March 31, 2019

Looking At Stars

I thought I'd like to try and convey what I think about stars - the importance of them, the inherent puzzle and mystery they represent to me.  This is my imperfect attempt.

LOOKING AT STARS

I love the star,
But I can’t reach it,
It’s fire, nuclear explosions,
A massive filament,
That I cannot touch,
And never will,

The star won’t last forever,
It will dwarf to red,
And a new star will be born in its place,
The cycle continues,
The star is life,
But what sort of life?

Beyond my reach,
Beyond my time,
Lighting worlds I will never see,
Heat dissipating life,
Forged in hells of fire and gas,
Sending rock and iron,
Across endless space,

That brutal crucible,
The star,
The root of all that is and will be,
A formulary that Promethean Man has sought to emulate,
With steel, but he never will,
Man will perish, the stars will shine on,
Man depends on the stars,
The stars will never need Man,

Why should these stars not be gods?
Why should not this star be God?
A star is as good an avatar as any,
Once, incalculable moons ago, we did not know fire,
We invented ideals instead,
But now we know what fire is,
And we know the stars are fires,
They seem to loop together,
Like a circuit of light, hanging in the sky,

Like the ancients,
I am trapped here,
I cannot express myself,
I can only look up in awe,
At fires hanging in the sky,
The real creators,
The ancients asked ‘What?’
I ask ‘Why?’

No comments:

Post a Comment