Sunday, March 27, 2022

The End of the Dream

 THE END OF THE DREAM

It was midday.  A last chance to say their goodbyes to family and friends before the journey.  The five of them were in good spirits.  They had come far and now they were going further than many could ever hope or dream.  In a sense, it was an ordinary journey.  You step in, buckle up, and away you go.  But of course it could never be considered mundane.  This was a big moment for everyone, a big day, and the sun was high in the sun and the day was fun and colourful, like a jamboree, and the crowds were waiting, anticipating another success, a soaring eagle that would lift their aspirations and continue the somnolent dream of invincibility.

She told me she would see me in a few days and we kissed and waved not goodbye, but see you soon or bon voyage.  

She said: "I'm taking your dreams with me too and giving them a place in the stars, forever."

I thought that was embarrassingly corny and I'm glad they didn't ask her to make the final send-off speech before the big day.  My wife could be irrepressibly sentimental.

I took my place amongst the crowd of relatives and other well-wishers.  I heard the fun crowd cheer and revel in the prospect of Man's triumph as I waited patiently, lost in my own thoughts.  Then I watched and willed on not my wife, but a steel and titanium vessel that would convey my wife, powered by the most advanced technology known to Man, using the ingenuity my wife did not understand, but certainly believed in.

I saw the eagle soar, the sky open up for it and the heavens envelope it, then I saw the craft that carried those brave men and women explode and their remains scatter across the firmament in a million ashes.  There the dream ended.  Our dream.  My dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment